Award Winning Research in Facial Surgery
Over 40 Publications in International Journals and Books
The Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation (PSEF) & American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AAO-HNSF) Centralized Otolaryngology Research Efforts (CORE) Grant. Zoumalan RA, Lee JW, Roman B, Warren SM, Saadeh PB, Lalwani AK. Prevention of radiation-induced skin fibrosis by topical matrix-based siRNA. Awarded June 2009.
International Health Fellowship Grant, Feinberg Northwestern University Medical School. Research on French medical system. Established an observation database of Iressa (tyrosine kinase inhibitor) for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Awarded January 2002.
- Yuan M, Kiertscher SM, Cheng Q, Zoumalan R, Tashkin DP, Roth MD. Delta 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Regulates Th1/Th2 Cytokine Balance in Activated Human T Cells. Journal of Neuroimmunology. 2002 Dec;133(1-2):124-31. (Honors thesis project).
- Zoumalan RA, Bendok B, Batjer HB, Sorin J, Burke AM. Association of an Irregular Anterior Choroidal Aneurysm With CREST Syndrome. A case report. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2004 Nov;101(5):854-7.
- Zoumalan R, Maddalozzo J, Holinger LD. Etiology of Stridor in Infants. Annals of Otology, Rhinology, & Laryngology. 2007 May;116(5):329-34.
- Morris LGT, Zoumalan RA, Roccaforte DJ, Amin MR. Monitoring Tracheal Tube Cuff Pressures in the Intensive Care Unit: A Comparison of Digital Palpation and Manometry. Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology. 2007;116(9):643-646.
- Zoumalan RA, Okun MN, Morris LG, Komisar A. Foreign Body Reaction to Facial Silicone Gel Implantation. Pathology Quiz Case. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2007 Oct;133(10):1062, 1064.
- Zoumalan RA, Rosenberg DB. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus-Positive Surgical Site Infections in Face-lift Surgery. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. 2008 Mar-Apr;10(2):116-23.
- Zoumalan R, Rizk SS. Hematoma rates in Drainless Deep-plane Face-lift Surgery With and Without the Use of Fibrin Glue. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. 2008 Mar-Apr;10(2):103-7.
- Zoumalan RA, Shah AR. Analysis of Vector Alignment with laterally based Zitelli Bilobed Flap in Nasal Defect Repair: A Comparison of Flap Dynamics in Human Cadavers. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. 2008 May-Jun;10(3):181-5.
- Zoumalan RA, Lebowitz RA, Wang E, Yung K, Babb JS, Jacobs JB. Flat panel cone beam computed tomography of the sinuses. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Jun;140(6):841-4.
- Zoumalan RA. Gone fishing. Laryngoscope. 2009 Aug;119(8):1616.
- Zoumalan RA, Carron MA, Tajudeen BA, Miller PJ. Treatment of dorsal deviation. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2009 Jun;42(3):579-86. Review.
- Zoumalan RA, Hirsch DL, Levine JP, Saadeh PB. Plating in microvascular reconstruction of the mandible: can fixation be too rigid? J Craniofac Surg. 2009 Sep;20(5):1451-4.
- Rosenberg C, Joseph J, Zoumalan CI, Zoumalan RA, White WM, Lisman RD. Oculocardiac Reflex Associated with a Large Orbital Floor Fracture. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Nov-Dec;25(6):496-8.
- Zoumalan CI, Lattman J, Zoumalan RA, Rosenberg DB. Orbicularis suspension flap and its effect on lower eyelid position: a digital image analysis. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2010 Jan-Feb;12(1):24-9
- Carron MA, Zoumalan RA, Miller PJ, Shah AR. Biomechanical analysis of anchoring points in rhytidectomy. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2010 Jan-Feb;12(1):37-9.
- Zoumalan RA, Shah AR, Constantinides MS. Quantitative Comparison Between Microperforating Osteotomies Versus Continuous Lateral Osteotomies In Rhinoplasty. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2010 Mar-Apr;12(2):92-6.
- Lee JW, Tutela JP, Zoumalan RA, Thanik VD, Nguyen PD, Varjabedian L, Warren SM, Saadeh PB. Inhibition of Smad3 expression in radiation-induced fibrosis using a novel method for topical transcutaneous gene therapy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Jul;136(7):714-9.
- Zoumalan RA, Kleinberger AJ, Morris LG, Ranade A, Yee H, Delacure MD, Myssiorek D.
- Lymph node central necrosis on computed tomography as predictor of extracapsular spread in metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: pilot study. J Laryngol Otol. 2010 Jun 24:1-5.
- Lee JW, Zoumalan RA, Valenzuela CD, Nguyen PD, Tutela JP, Roman BR, Warren SM, Saadeh PB. Regulators and mediators of radiation-induced fibrosis: gene expression profiles and a rationale for Smad3 inhibition. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Accepted with revisions.
- Thanik VD, Chang CC, Zoumalan RA, Lerman OZ, Allen RJ Jr, Nguyen PD, Warren SM, Coleman SR, Hazen A. A novel mouse model of cutaneous radiation injury. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Feb;127(2):560-8.
- Zoumalan RA, Zeitler DM, Morris LGT, Shah AR. Effects of Various Submucous Resection Techniques of Septal Cartilage on Nasal Tip Projection. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2011 Jan-Feb;1(1):78-82.
- Zoumalan RA, Larrabee WF, Murakami CS. Intraoperative Suction Assisted Evaluation of the Nasal Valve in Rhinoplasty. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2012 Jan-Feb;14(1):34-8.
- Carron MA, Zoumalan RA, Pastorek NJ. Measured Gain in Projection with the Extended Columellar Strut-Tip Graft in Endonasal Rhinoplasty. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. Publication pending.
- Harirchian S, Zoumalan RA, Rosenberg DS. Antidepressants and bleeding risk in facelift surgery. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2012 Jul 1;14(4):248-52.
- Zoumalan RA, Constantinides M. Subjective and Objective Improvements in Breathing after Septorhinoplasty. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2012 Sep 10:1-6. doi: 10.1001/archfacial.2012.665
- Romo T III, Zoumalan RA. Porous Polyethylene Implants in Rhinoplasty-Surgical Techniques and Long Term Outcomes. Operative Techniques in Head and Neck Surgery. December 2007. Vol. 18, Issue 4, Pages 284-290.
- Shah AR, Zoumalan R, Constantinides MS. Aesthetic Repair of Small to Medium-sized Nasal Defects. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2008 Jan;24(1):105-19.
- Zoumalan, CI, Wladis E, Zoumalan RA., Gausas RE, Cockerham, K.P. Ophthalmic and Orbital Complications of Head and Neck Surgery. In Eisele DW and Smith RV: Complications of Head & Neck Surgery, Second Edition. Thieme Medical Publishers; 2008.
- Miller PJ, Zoumalan RA, Carron MA. The Anatomy and Physiology of the Neck. In: Gentile RD. Rejuvenation of the Aging Neck. New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers; 2009.
- Romo T III, Pearson J, Yalamanchili Y, Zoumalan RA. Wound healing, skin. Emedicine.com.
- Zoumalan RA, Carron MA, Tajudeen BA, Miller PJ. Treatment of dorsal deviation. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2009 Jun;42(3):579-86.
- Zoumalan RA, Shah AR, Westine J. Short Incision or Mini-lift. In: Thomas JR. Chapter 38: In: Advanced Therapy in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Regan Thomas. Thieme Medical Publishers; 2009.
- Zoumalan, CI, Wladis E, Zoumalan RA, Gausas RE, Cockerham KP. Ophthalmic and Orbital Complications of Head and Neck Surgery. In Eisele DW and Smith RV: Complications of Head & Neck Surgery, Second Edition: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2008.
- Zoumalan CI, Zoumalan RA, Cockerham KP. Surgical Management of Lacrimal Gland Tumors. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2008. Dec: 19(4) 252-258
- Romo T 3rd, Zoumalan RA, Rafii BY. Current concepts in the management of the aging forehead in facial plastic surgery. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Aug;18(4):272-7.
- Zoumalan RA, Larrabee WF Jr. Anatomic considerations in the aging face. Facial Plast Surg. 2011 Feb;27(1):16-22. Epub 2011 Jan 18.
- Zoumalan RA, Murakami C. Complications of Local Flaps. Facial Plastic Surgery. Facial Plast Surg. 2012 Jun;28(3):347-53. Epub 2012 Jun 21.
- Zoumalan RA, Zoumalan CI, Larrabee WF. Facelift and Midfacelift. Chapter in: Smith’s Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, 3rd edition. Pgs 501-506.
- Zoumalan RA , White WM, Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Otolaryngology, 3rd edition. Chapter: Facelift, Browlift, and Midfacelift. Publication pending.
- Murakami C. Zoumalan RA. The Crooked Nose. Bailey’s Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery new edition textbook chapter. Publication Pending.
- Zoumalan RA, Rizk SS. A Novel Method to Obtain a Natural Smooth Result in Primary and Revision Rhinoplasty. Publication Pending.
Hear what our
clients have to say
I was injured on January 7, 2012 in a mo-ped/scooter accident in Cozumel, Mexico. My entire body head to toe (literally) endured horrendous road rash, my nose broke & plenty more. The level of care I received from dr Zoumalan & his entire office was/is truly indescribable but I shall try!
It’s been a year since my septoplasty and rhinoplasty and I am extremely happy with my results.Not only has my breathing dramatically improved, I am sleeping better than ever. I feel healthier and it has significantly changed my exercise routine. I can definitely push myself harder and my work outs are longer and more efficient. Best part is I don’t get that winded feeling or stuffy or runny nose while running. I didn’t realize how many aspects of my life would change after the surgery.
I had a Face and Neck Lift on December 3rd, 2014. Dr. Zoumalan does excellent work! He is very thorough in explaining the procedure, and has an excellent bedside manner. I am so happy with my result. I would highly recommend Dr. Zoumalan.
So when I met with Richard Zoumalan, I gave him a picture of me when I was 42, and I said, “That’s what I want. Is that possible?” And he said, “Yes!” He explained what he’d do, and how he would do it. I had surgery less than a month ago, and amazingly, I look almost exactly like me, only about 25 years younger.
Past Life Love
Dr. Richard Zoumalan performed an exceptional revisional rhinoplasty of my nose. I have a history of chronic sinusitis and have had several sinus surgeries and 2 rhinoplasties in hopes to correct my problem. My original rhinoplasy was done to correct a severely deviated septum.
The Cutting Edge
Over 50 Medical Articles Published throughout the most notable medical journals.